Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ta Dah - my big announcement - well big for me :-)

Hello to all who call by my blog - I am thrilled to think that folk call by to read my ramblings.  Thank you.

I have been hanging out to share this news, but have been very good and kept it to myself and DH.

Way back, I started following a blog called Digital Two for Tuesday which has digi images to share... being on superannuation does not give one a lot of spare cash for stamps etc, and being basically thrifty, I enjoy this site.  

In January of this year Cora sent out an invite for guest designers - so I cautiously put my name forward, and was accepted!!  Eeek, what have I done was my first reaction!!  Cora mentioned that she tries to send images that would take her guests 'out of their comfort zone'  - always one for a challenge I was not too concerned - until the images arrived 10 days ago!!

I had two images to use - both involving children - and I rarely use images of people - partially as I do not like colouring 'flesh', and I have limited colours to use in any medium, and certainly not flesh colours!!!  

So I did what I had to, and put the panic aside and let my mind mull things over for a day or two... and inspiration came - thankfully.   

I started with this image, after messing around on the computer to print it the size I wanted - which took this computer novice longer than it did to make the card!!


Chalks were used to colour the image, and I added a blender pen to the chalks on the boy to make him the focal point.  I also printed out the image twice and cut out just the boy and popped the coloured image up on foam dots to add emphasis.












The striped paper is greener than it appears - the camera did not do it justice.
All the edges were sponged - the brown is Tim Holtz Distress ink - tea dye, the green Memento Bamboo leaves.

The quote is one I had on the computer and I could not resist using it here. I finished the card off with the green ribbon and a star clip - one from a packet I was given as a thank you for 'cat sitting' :-).


The second card I had the concept for very early in the week - thankfully it came together as I envisaged it.



I used the same colours on the boys clothing as they were obviously from the same source - again I used chalks to colour the image, using a blender pen on the children to add emphasis.  The lace to form the curtains was from my stash and went on surprisingly easily - thankfully - again thanks to the ubiquitous double sided sellotape.


Next came the frame and then the black mat - something I have learned to use from my friend Linda.  Love the way the black mat gives definition and seems to 'lift' the colours.  I deliberately left the mat long, and added the lace from my stash - it has a lovely gold  thread running through it!


I sponged the craft base card with the Tea Dye ink, and mounted it up - still I was not really happy, then I remembered the black half pearls that I had bought to 'challenge' myself - so popped some on the lace and the top left corner and I was done!


I spent ages trying to get the best photographs - not so much with focus etc but it was the colours that were giving me grief.  I then sent them off with much trepidation.  The email that Cora sent in reply was very reassuring to this novice!  


I trust you have enjoyed my journey with me through this experience.  Thanks for calling by and I do appreciate any comments left.

9 comments:

Lovely Linda said...

CONGRATULATIONS Maxine - way to go girl! These are gorgeous - you have done Digital Two for Tuesdau proud my friend! I love these images and way way you have coloured them with Chalks - gotta love the Blender Pen!! You have used perfect colours for them, sometimes being limited enhances our work!!! Love the lace and the black - along with those gorgeous gems on the lace! Well done Maxine - FABULOUS work!! God bless you!! {{{hugs}}}

Christa said...

These are so nice!!! I love how you made the second one into a window frame. When I looked at the original, it looked quite challenging. The frame was exactly what it needed. :)

Gwen said...

Maxine! Congrats on the dt position and what a great job on these cards! Awesome!

Cora said...

Maxine,
Both of your cards are beautiful. See what I mean about working outside your comfort zone. All of the guest designers never cease to amaze me with their ideas and you are proof. I especially love the one with boy cooking. The color combo and the star accent are juist perfect. Thank you again for your inspiration this week. Now if I could only find the time myself to take the challenge.

Laura Kirste Campbell said...

These are absolutely WonderFul, Maxine!!

Anonymous said...

They look amazing, Maxine! I have checked them out on both your site and the one you were a guest on. Great job, you should be very proud of both the effort and the finished product.
Your DIL. :o)

Priscilla said...

Hi Maxine, I just wanted to comment over here on your blog..You have been linking to another sight and I am not sure how to comment..do you have to sign up to be on that sight? I belong to so many sights as it is, but if that is the case, I will see what I can do. It looks like a wonderful place..I just wish I had more time in the day to visit all the wonderful sights. Your Midnight Madness card is just lovely this week. your embossing is amazing. Your recent blog post creations here on your blog are wonderful too :) Oh I just wanted to let you know to mark your calendar for March 5th because that is when the Midnight Madness will be doing a huge giveaway. It will be a blog candy style with comment entries only. No card making on this one, but I really do not want our regular players to miss out on the opportunity to win. You will not be sorry you entered. As always, thank you so much for playing the Midnight Madness sketch challenges with us. We really love checking out all our entries work each week. p.s. Sneak Peek is up

Priscilla
MMSC Hostess

Xiomara said...

Hi Maxine,
You created 2 beautiful cards and I love the vintage feel on both of them.
Hugs

peggy gatto said...

Wonderful artistic interpretation!!!