Welcome
Another short post - on a technique that I have never "got on with", so this month's challenge for our (N.Z) swap group was a real challenge for me!
I used the Magnificent Sunflower 3D embossing folder by Memory Box for the feature on the
Blackout technique
After embossing the card, I flipped it over and coloured the (debossed) image with various inks, then used the direct to paper technique to fill the background, (using Catherine Pooler Queen For A Day ink).Then tried rolling the ink on - I attempted this three different times, and eventually decided the second attempt was the better one, but it was far from what I wanted.
Masking and sponging to the rescue, and a lot of inky fingers later I was 'sort of ' satisfied!!
A local childcare centre will receive the 'rejects'.
The butterfly and sentiment were very strategically placed !! I sprayed the background with some Comic Shimmer pearlescent spray, added some clear rhinestones on the body of the butterfly, and a wee bit of red behind the main panel and under the edge of the sentiment strip, then mounted it all onto a bright yellow base.
The inside panel was decorated with a strip of the tape that was on the envelope, but the photo was not a good one, as the light reflected off the gold on it, and took it out of focus!
I am linking this to:

Terrific card, Maxine! I like what the little pops of red add. Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Just Us Girls!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely beautiful Maxine. Love the sunflower and the blue background looks amazing! Thank you so much for joining in the fun at I spy with my little eye challenge! So great to see you at my Garden Party too!
ReplyDeleteMaxine, I absolutely love your card, and I can really appreciate the effort that went into it. I have tried different techniques of coloring a card that I have embossed. Generally speaking, they really don’t turn out real well in my room! I had to laugh when I heard that your butterfly and sentiment were “strategically placed!” I totally get that! No one would know anything less than the fact that you’ve created a beautiful card! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at Word Art Wednesday!
ReplyDeleteStriking use of colour Maxine and looks good to me, but know what you mean as it's a technique I struggle with as well.
ReplyDeleteB x
I think this looks wonderful, well done. I often use cosmic shimmer on a background as I find it adds lovely shine and interest xx
ReplyDeleteWell done on your final effort Maxine, it is not an easy technique
ReplyDeleteWell it has turned out stunning Maxine, despite you saying you have "never got on" with the technique. Some of the terminology you use is unfamiliar to me but I can always get the gist of what you mean.
ReplyDeleteIt really was worth the effort Maxine. I have it sitting on my bookcase and love it. Always good to challenge ourselves.
ReplyDeleteA vert timely post as I read an article and watched a video on this techniquethis week, and thought I should give it a try. (I haven't yet!).I had to smile at the 'very strategically placed elements. I guess eahev all done that at times.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, sunflowrs are one of my favourites so I love your card. Kate x
Beautiful sunflowers and a lovely card, Maxine. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Word Art Wednesday and for your sweet comments on my blog. I do praise God for you, my friend. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteI think this looks amazing! You debossed sunflower is so pretty with that inked and spritzed background. Thanks for playing along with us at JUGS!
ReplyDeleteThe yellow flower as the focal point and that little pop of red with the butterfly on the blue made a colorful fall card! I know you had something else in mind but the effect that resulted is wonderful Thanks for playing at Just Us Girls!
ReplyDeleteThis is one of your most beautiful cards, Maxine. I LOVE your debossed sunflower. It must have been a fun technique to try. Hugs, my friend.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous sunflower Maxine, and a fab background. Thanks so much for sharing with this month’s “I Soy With My Littke Eye” challenge.
ReplyDeletePauline xx
I like that you still step into the uneasy territory when making some of your cards. I like the results of your efforts. It is a striking card.
ReplyDeleteHugs and Blessings
AH! A perfect technique, well we all try, don't we? Love the effect of the background and the beautiful sunflower. x
ReplyDelete