Pages

Friday, June 30, 2017

Sympathetic Butterflies

Welcome

I don't usually use 'sketches' to start my card making process, but I saw this sketch (designed by Ginny Maxam) in the Christian Cardmakers Women's Fellowship Group on Facebook, and was hooked.


The butterfly panel was a trial with an emboss resist technique, using sprays wiped with a baby wipe over embossing - I was not happy with the results at the time as the colours really faded out, but I immediately thought of this panel when I saw the sketch.  The sprays had mica in them, so there really is a lovely sheen on this.



I found some suitable paper in my DCWV Old World Mat Stack for the base layer, and layered some sparkling mauve ribbon behind the butterfly panel, and over that I layered the  gold embossed sentiment on an hand cut banner.


The hardest part was to work out what to use for the accents, I was very happy to find some co-ordinating buttons in my collection.


I threaded mauve embroidery thread through them, then adhered them with glue dots, and added an extra to the sentiment banner.



I finished the inside with a couple of strips I had trimmed from the butterfly panel.
All the edges of all the layers were sponged with violet ink.

I am linking this to:
(There are three butterflies, three words on the sentiment, and three button in a row)
(I like using ribbon as a layer as it means I don't have to tie a bow, and it adds texture and often sparkle in an unexpected place, as on this card.)

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog - may your day be blessed
Any comments you may leave are deeply appreciated
All comments are moderated and spam deleted.

33 comments:

Wendy Nicola Jackson said...

Beautiful card Maxine. That embossing is beautiful! Love the emboss resist you used with the butterflies. Love the sweet button and twine too. Really gorgeous! Thanks for joining in the fun with the Southern Girls for our 'Ribbon & Twine' challenge. I love what you did for it. Hugs, Wends xoxo

Gerrina said...

The details are just enough to make it a so interesting desgn! Love that purple colour! HAve a good weekend!

Dawn T said...

Beautiful card Maxine. The butterfly panel is so soft and sweet looking'

aussie aNNie said...

Lovely take on the sketch and love your colour here. The embossing is always impressive....hugs, the 'frustrated florist'...xxx
Have a lovely weekend.♥
[aNNie]

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Brilliant card Maxine, I love it an dcuriosu yours is emboss Resist too like my post. Great use of Ginnys sketch!!! I rarely use a sketch or colour prompt too..
Thanks for sharing your inspiration! And for popping over and being so encouraging .. you are a blessing.
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

brenda said...

Another super card and great resist stamping Maxine.

Hope you have a good weekend.

B x

Darlene said...

Beautiful creation that is sure to bring comfort! Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood’s ‘Buttons’ challenge and please come back again soon!
Darlene
one of the 'Sistahs'
The Sisterhood of Crafters
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit!

Mia said...

Wonderful butterlies. It's another super card, Maxine!

Mac Mable said...

Such a delicate front panel against the pretty deeper background one. Great accents too x

SewPaperPaint said...

Beautiful resist on the butterfly panel and your layers are wonderful! Hugs, Autumn

Liz said...

Lovely card, Maxine. I love the delicate emboss resist panel and the colours are beautiful. xx

froebelsternchen said...

A very beautiful Sympathy card Maxine! Happy weekend to you!
oxo Susi

Ellibelle said...

A really nice card Maxine. The emboss resist technique turned out so pretty, I really should be playing with this technique again soon - it's been too long!! Wonderful sketch too and love the papers!

Megan J said...

Hi Maxine, a great take on the sketch, I admit to using sketches when I cannot find the right way for a card to go together, I then find myself returning to old favourites rather than constantly trying new ones... have a wonderful weekend.... Megan

Loll said...

So pretty, Maxine. Love the beautiful patterned paper matched with the delicate colours and shimmer of your emboss resist butterflies. xx

aussie aNNie said...

Maxine, you are funny, I am still laughing.xx [aNNie]

Elizabeth said...

I love the colours you have chosen for this card!

Margaret said...

This is so beautiful Maxine. Love the colors you used and you know I love butterflies.

Monika Reeck said...

love that purple paper I think I ever have it one time Maxine and love the added of the button
pretty card my friend

Sue said...

Your butterfly panel is so soft and pretty, Maxine and the buttons are a lovely touch.

Marilyn said...

A gorgeous and tasteful card. Sympathy cards are difficult to do and no matter how they turn out, I am never happy with them. I've actually all but stopped making them... it's always such sad circumstances when we need them and I dislike making them.
You've done a great job... it's so pretty.

Cobnut Crafter said...

I love your colour co-ordination and the beautfully crisp embossed sentiment. The chosen layout works really well with your card. xx

Kate said...

Such a pretty card! The sheen is so lovely and adds such a wonderful effect!

Thanks for your kind words on the Little Red Wagon blog. I'm so sorry to read that you also lost your husband recently. Praying that you also find moments of peace through your heartache. xox

Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

Kate
Small Bits of Paper

Lovely Linda said...

So pretty Maxine - and perfect! I love butterlies for sympathy cards - love it! {{{hugs}}}

aussie aNNie said...

hehehe, sending a big hello,love from the frustrated florist..xx

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful card! You did a great job with that technique!

Leanne said...

Wonderful, love the butterflies, and the color, very pretty. Thanks for sharing with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

Leanne DT/4CC

Fran said...

Your card is elegant and lovely Maxine. Hugs Fran

Kate said...

Such a pretty card! The embossed butterflies are gorgeous!

Thanks for joining us at Little Red Wagon this week!

Kate
Small Bits of Paper

Aunty Sue said...

Lovely project thanks for sharing with us at CRAFT this week and good luck in the draw.

Shelly Schmidt said...

Just beautiful Maxine- soft pretty color and I love the embossed butterflies!

Zw@@n said...

Beautiful card, Maxine. Gorgeous colours. Thank you for joining us at As You Like It. Luv, Wilma

Suchi said...

Gorgeous Sympathy card Maxine! :)
Suchi xx