A change of craft today... a project that has been on the go for some years - eight to be more accurate!
I had barely started a shawl for my daughter, very early in her pregnancy, when my son and his wife announced that they too were expecting a wee one... as a shawl takes me approximately nine months to knit, they understood that it would not be ready by the time baby was born.
I did start it that year, and plodded away on an off over the years, but with RSI, carpel tunnel and cubital tunnel issues, it had been a while since it had seen the light of day
This year they announced that they were expecting a baby in September... so when I was recovered from surgery in March I started off again. And finished it only two days after Annalise was born.
I seem to work best with deadlines!!
The shawl was knitted on 2.5 mm circular needles in 2 ply wool - a lace weight.The pattern was actually a tablecloth in a Burda magazine published in 1993
Although it looks complicated, it was basically one pattern repeated 47 times in the bulk of the knitting
I altered the edge pattern a wee bit, and once it was washed and blocked, it had a pretty scalloped look to the edge.
Near the end each round took me close on an hour, but the cast off took me nearly three hours. There were 1,410 stitches on the last rounds.
I am linking this to: