A change of pace today - my first love for many years on the craft spectrum was embroidery, and in the past 12 months I have renewed my membership in the local Embroiderer's Guild.
This year is the national bi-annual conference of the Embroiderer's Guilds, and there is a theme given that the guilds can create a banner for, as one of the competitions/exhibitions.
We chose to create a Noah's Ark as our interpretation of the theme. Each member was able to select from a range of animals sketched onto some fabric by our talented co-ordinator of the project, and we were also given a small image of the animal.
After collecting my critters, I did some research, compliments of Mr G**gle, and printed out some more images.
I then searched my stash and selected my colours - just a note, some of my stash has been around for a while, and I discovered to my dismay part way through the project, that ordering the same thread number did not ensure I had the same shade of colour when it arrived!
I learnt in my researching that Rhino's hide is actually VERY rough, in patches looking like huge warts - I was not keen to try to replicate that, so went with an overall texture
I started with the feet and legs and worked up from there
Adding some rib 'shadows' along the trunk
And making sure the eyes, horns and ears were stitched with enough contrast not to 'loose' them
I also learned that Rhinos have a wee tassel on the end of their tails - who would have knowed!
So here in all her glory is Ethel
Followed closely by Arthur - who found a new mud puddle to wade in, but Ethel would not let him stop, so hence he only got partially submerged, and it shows. Well that's my story, and I am sticking to it!!
And here is the banner all but finished, with Ethel and Arthur, Snip and Snap (the geese), Slither and Slide (the snakes) Jumbo and Nellie, Fanny and Flinn (the flamingos), and Jemima and Jimmy (the Giraffes)... and company!!
The names were given by the various members who stitched them when on a weekend retreat.