Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2022

Stacked Iris Sympathy

Welcome

I was asked to make a sympathy card for a group that I belong to after the news came through that a well respected ex-member had passed away.  It needed to be larger than my normal size so lots of folk could sign and put their own messages in.
I had got to know this lady and greatly admired her for her needlework, her strength of character, and her compassion.  She also loved irises, and grew a lot, as well as on occasion embroidered them, hence why I chose them to feature on this card. 


I found the basic image online here.  It is a wonderful resource for floral images!!

I sized it in three sizes, and also flipped one image for some more interest, coloured them with my Polychromo pencils before fussy cutting them and organising as I wanted them, repeatedly!


Before I assembled the card, I used a gold pen to do some faux stitching around the border, masked that off, and stamped  a lovely pincushion image in Versamark ink.  The sentiment is gold embossed on torn vellum,


The irises were stacked to one side of the sheet of design paper from the Recollections Rainbow Inks pad.  I trimmed it so the pattern was only on one side, and also embossed it using my very old Swiss Dots folder.   I layered some gauze under the irises, but this does not show up in the photos.


The inside has four pages for folk to sign, and I also finished them with gold faux stitching, and after attaching them, tied a narrow piece of gold ribbon around the whole card, with the bow on the outside.

I am linking this to:

(Opt, Add a Sentiment)


26 comments:

Jan Mahew said...

Lovely Sympathy card Maxine! The layers, dry embossing for texture makes for an endearing card. Thank you for sharing your blessed creation with us at Jan's Digi Blog Challenge. I look forward to seeing you at our next challenge. Good Luck and Happy Crafting!
Hugs,
Jan
(Owner & Illustrator of Jan's Digi Stamp Shop)

brenda said...

Always difficult card to make but this sounds very appropriate with the Iris's.

B x

mamapez5 said...

Beautiful. I love the irises and you have colored them so well. Perfect for a sympathy card. Kate x

Gerrina said...

It looks so beautiful and serene; just perfect for such a card! Love the colouring! Hugs, Gerrina

Pattie G said...

What a pretty card! It goes perfectly with our theme for this month “Anything Goes”. I love your coloring too. Thanks for joining us at Pattie’s Creations Design Challenge.
Pattie
Artist & Owner

Becca Sadler said...

Absolutely gorgeous card, Maxine, and will be a very thoughtful keepsake for this lady's family.

Brenda said...

Wow Maxine, this sympathy card is so beautiful and serene! I love the iris's and you have colored them up so well with your pencils. I also love the gauze, which I can see nicely. The dry embossing and wet embossing gives so much texture also with the gauze. I also love the colors of ink along the one side. A beautiful card for what sounds like a beautiful lady. I'm sorry for this loss for everyone. Hugs, Brenda

JD/ Jill said...

Beautifully done Sympathy card! Thanks for sharing the link.

Megan J said...

Hi Maxine, a beautiful card to remember your friend. Love the irises and the gauze is seen in multiple photos! Have a wonderful week... Megan

tilly said...

a beautiful card in rememberance of your talented friend, thanks for sharing your work at Crafty Catz challenge, Tilly

Mac Mable said...

Not an easy card to make Maxine but it is thoughtful, beautiful and just perfect. The irises are so pretty, love the faux stitching and how you did the sentiment x. Thank you for the link to the line images x.

creationsnz said...

A really beautiful card Maxine, well done you! CarolG

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Maxine, this is so pretty - lovely colors, beautiful flowers. Perfect!

R's Rue said...

Very beautiful.

Billie A said...

So pretty. So hard to create sympathy cards. Thanks for sharing over at Colour Crazy, Crafty Catz.

Shelly Schmidt said...

I love Iris'! This card is fabulous- beautifully colored and so heartfelt! So sweet of you to create this personalized card for this woman's family!

Aunty Sue said...

Beautiful card and thanks for sharing at crafty catz hope to see you joining in our Anything Goes challenges again.

Irish Cherokee said...

Superb design. Beautiful coloring. This card is beautiful. Excellent.

Hugs and Blessings,
Jim

Carol W said...

What a beautiful sympathy card Maxine. So soft and pretty. You did a wonderful job with it and I love the colors.

Sue said...

Great layout for the pretty irises , Maxine. The gold on vellum and faux stitching are lovely touches x

CuteNCrafty Mommy said...

This is super cute. Thanks for joining us at Pattie’s Creations Design Challenge.

Ilonka said...

I love your card, thanks for sharing it with us at the Daisy Chain Challenge Blog.
Hugs Ilonka DT

Ellen said...

Beautiful card! Thankd for joining us at Daisy Chain Challenges.

groetjes, Ellen

Neet said...

You are exceptionally talented with the coloured pencils and this is a beautiful card. I am sure the members were delighted with it.
A super background which works so well with the colouring of the iris.
Delightful.
Blessings, Neet xx

Kristine said...

Really pretty! Perfect for a sympathy card 🌷

Donna Walls said...

Beautiful card and a beautiful way to honor someone so dear. Thanks for joining us at Jan's Digi Stamps Challenge and we hope to see more of your lovely projects.
Donna