Pages

Friday, February 21, 2020

Spotlight on a Ship

Welcome

Some time ago I welcomed Sue to my blog as a new follower - I have managed to find her blog, only to discover that I have followed her for some time - her work is exquisite.
 Do pop over and visit Sue's blog - you are in for a treat.

I love working with colours that contrast or complement, and this was the reasoning behind the basic colours of this masculine card


I started with the image, which is part of a magazine freebie set - stamped it in Faded Jeans DI twice
then cut out the ship element for a 'spotlight' feature before colouring in the background with various DI's and Prismacolor pencils.  I loved how the tip of the big wave curls into the spotlight image!


I inked all the edges of the images with the Faded Jeans ink before adhering it too the blue die cut.  I offset the main image on the blue to mimic the placement of the spotlight element.

I used an embossed orange panel for the main background, which was also placed in an offset fashion on the blue base.   I added the twine to the top of the embossed panel to hide the fact that the embossing does not go right to the top.  


The sentiment came with the set and was stamped in the same ink


For the inside I created a 'negative' mask and stamped the spotlight area through the hole in 
London Fog ink on the left of the insert.

I am linking this to:
(I used the words birthday and party for my inspiration)


20 comments:

aussie aNNie said...

bRILLIANT card Maxine, love the bold colours and the embossing. I love how you made this and guy cards are not seen much, of course no flowers... :) xx

cotnob said...

A super card Maxine, a lovely image and great colour choices.
Pauline - Crafting with Cotnob
x

jimlynn said...

Fabulous!!! I love the color combination and all that embossing. Wonderful card Maxine!
Lynn

Nannieflash said...

A fabulous image for our theme, love your card design. Thanks for joining us at TPS, good luck with the challenge. hugs Shirleyxxxxx

Tristan said...

Love your colour combo Maxine. Great wavy texture on the background and focal centre scene. Thanks for joining us at Christmas at Sweet Stampin. Tristan DT.

Mac Mable said...

Striking and wonderful colour combination with a fabulous stamped image. Great texture too from the dry embossing x.

Art by Zowie Dixon said...

Such a wonderful card Maxine, I just love the colour combinations and lovely image! Thank you so much for entering our ATG challenge at Arty Divas this week. Looking forward to seeing you again next challenge.

Hugs, Zowie xx

Arty Divas DT

Crafts from the Fairy Den {My Blog}

Dawn T said...

Beautifully done Maxine. Love the texture on the card.

Dawn T said...

PS Maxine.... thanks for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday this week

mamapez5 said...

A clever idea Maxine. I really like this card, and the vibrant colours you have chosen. Kate x

Monica said...

What an alive colour combo. Yes, I like the big wave and how it sits on the image. Super card as usual.

Love,

Monica

Brenda said...

Oh I love how this card turned out Maxine! The color combo is perfect for a seas scene. I love how you off set your scene on your blue circle too and yes, it is cool how your wave on the right, comes in to the spotlight part. Love it! I have this same stamp set from the magazine and haven't even used it yet! sigh I have many NBUS's unfortunately. Hugs, Brenda

Bella Création (Iza) said...

Beautiful card, love the colors...
Thank you for joigning us at the Paper Shelter and good luck!

Iza DT

Helen said...

Your colour combination is perfect and so eye-catching, Maxine! Love that blue image and the follow through to the inside! That EF is one of my favourites! Thanks so much for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week!

Gerrina said...

I love these colours together! And what a beautiful image and great contrast with the embossed background! Enjoy your sunday! And thank for joining us at TIME OUT!

Kim Heggins said...

FABulous!!! So in love with your wonderful card. Those colors and those fabulous images, simply amazing. Thank you so much for playing along with us at Time Out!

Nonni said...

This card has such a vibrant look! Love the way you used color so boldly. Thank you for taking Time Out and joining us!

Marilyn said...

You come up with some of the most clever designs and colour combos! The orange and blue are fabulous together!

Neet said...

I love wearing blue with a touch of yellow and I love using blue with orange as its contrast colour so you have fulfilled it all for me here. I was going to ask who made the stamp when I read it was a freebie, lucky you, it is a lovely stamp and can be used in so many ways.
You have made a super card here Maxine, it ticks the boxes for me.
Hugs, Neet xx

creationsnz said...

Love these colours and great idea to spotlight the image inside. CarolG