Pages

Friday, July 21, 2023

Spotlight Canoe

Welcome
Thank you for taking the time to visit.

At a recent card class I taught the Spotlight technique, taking it one step further by inserting the cut out coloured image into an uncoloured version of the stamp.
Both images were stamped using the MISTI,  not moving the stamp between stamping, then after colouring one image, lining them up together and die cutting the 'spotlight'  in one pass.


The stamp is a classic one from Divinity Designs, With Deepest Sympathy  
When I came to complete this card with the image, it was very uncooperative.' Firstly the 
the sentiment blurred, so I trimmed the panel down and decided to mount it on a landscape orientation, and framed it with a doodled frame... round one to me


It looked very stark, and I could not think of a sentiment... So I tied some twine around the 'blank' end, and decided on this mini stamp, but could not find my tiny tag set of dies, so improvised with a CUTplorations mug, leaving off the steam.. round two to me!


I sponged some Pear Tart Memento ink around the edges to soften it against the green background, and attached it to the twine with some copper metallic thread. 


The gingham washi was a 'blue' green, so I layered a a bright lime green tape behind it, and got a very pleasing result to finish the inside of the card.  Final round to me!!


I stamped the envelope with the trees from the main stamp, using the edges of the stamp, and taking it 'off the edge' of the envelope.  I used Memento London Fog ink for my stamping of the images.

I am linking this to:





19 comments:

Neet said...

I love this variation of the Spotlight technique which you taught at your class.
Gosh, it shows just how you are an accomplished stamper with all the little 'cover ups' you managed during its production.
I bet the class went down really well.
Hugs, Neet xx

Gerrina said...

I love that technique!Let the eye go first just were you want it to... And love the fresh colours! Hugs Gerrina

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Always love seeing Spotlight technique on cards and this one came out so pretty with that beautiful stamp!

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

Maxine, I always seem to have a hard time with the silhouette technique, but you definitely have mastered it. This card looks great!

Irish Cherokee said...

Love your step by step instructions. Uncooperative designs can be a test to say the least. The result is great. I can't say I have ever seen this technique before. It opens up many possibilities. I may just try it when I finish these portraits (50 in all).

Hugs and Blessings

jimlynn said...

It's fantastic - and all three rounds paid off royally too! I love the spotlight technique but have never even tried it. I may have to do that now. Love that you stamped the envelope too.
Lynn

MortiCraft said...

Glad to hear I’m not the only one that has days like that! You just go to finish your card and the stamp smudges, or you manage to spread glue, or worse Nuvo drops, everywhere! You did a great job of ‘winning’ against your card!! Thanks for playing along with The Male Room. X

Julie said...

Hi Maxine .... thank you for your visit to my blog & your sweet kind comment. How lovely of you. You have come through as a "no reply blogger" so I cant email you to thank you.
Your cards are just so beautiful - I Love all the little "extras" you put into them. You just can't beat handmade cards I feel. Lovely to know you are just down the road a bit from me. Wishing you a wonderful weekend 😊 xx





















brenda said...

A pretty spotlight card Maxine and the twine gives a nice rustic feel.

B x

Dawn T said...

Great technique Maxine. You certainly did good.

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

The spotlight technique is always so good, and I love your take with it, Maxine. Love your rescue too, clever Gal.
Faith x

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Catherine x
https://creativeinspirationchallenges.blogspot.com

DIANA L. said...

This is so pretty!! I love it.
Thank you for joining the DL.ART July 2023 LINKY CHALLENGE. Or the DL.ART Thankful Thursday Challenge #327
Have a blessed day,
DIANA L.

HilaryJane said...

I haven't used that technique for a long time, it is so effect. Thanks for the reminder and this fine example xx

Stevenson Q said...

Dearest Maxine! The colors on this one are so easy on the eye, I love it! Staring at it to look at the details with all the greens relaxed my sight! Thank you for sharing and super love the rope, it gave even more interesting texture!

JD/ Jill said...

Nicely done card! It's been a while since I tried this technique. You are inspiring me to try this again.

Brenda said...

Love this card Maxine, that image is just beautiful! A great image to do the spotlight technique on for sure. I love how you used the coffee mug as a tag with the sentiment, such a great idea. This might have given you a difficult time at first, but you made it all work beautifully in the end and that is all that counts. Gorgeous! Hugs, Brenda

Jane Savage said...

Fabulous technique on this lovely card!
Thank you for joining us at Polkadoodles Digi Choosday! Jane S (DT) Paper, Pencils & Pretty Things xxx

Sari / Granne said...

Loving the spot light coloring and the twine looks so good with the out door scene image. Thank you so much for joining The Male Room #176 challenge: Travel.