Pages

Friday, August 25, 2023

Bookmarks Recycled

Welcome
Thank you for taking time to visit 
Don't quite know what has happened to this week - it has whooshed by at the speed of light.
(or maybe my age is telling, and time is moving faster than me?)

Onto the card, while I have time to be here...
I recently came across some bookmarks - they display part of a piece of canvas work by Linda Ingles called Canvas Again, and it featured on the bookmarks used by the Association of New Zealand Embroiderer's Guilds.
They were unusable due to the 'contact' information on the back being out of date.


I started by trimming off the dark green sides of the bookmark, shortening them and fiddling around until I was happy with the placement on the card.
I used one of the side trimmings down the 'spine' of the card


The sentiment was embossed in rich green ep after I had positioned the pieces, but before I adhered them.  The card looked fairly stark, so I decided on some butterflies, and when I went to get the die out of its pocket, I discovered the gold one there.  I then matched some sparkle card to the greens and die cut some more .
I ran the edges of the cut pieces over the ink pad, and then as I adhered them, smudged ink onto the card front.  I didn't want to start over, so out came the sequins!!


The inside was finished with some green sparkle scotch tape and another deep green side trimming


I had originally cut three green butterflies, so decided to use one on the envelope


The envelope had some of the green ink brushed onto it, then I sprayed it with some green and gold mica sprays before adhering  the butterfly flat onto it. 


I know the recipient loves butterflies and sparkle, so I think this card will be a hit.

I am linking this to:
The butterflies were cut from snippets


24 comments:

Dawn T said...

Great upcycling Maxine. It made a beautiful card.

brenda said...

My Gran always used to tell me time goes faster as you get older, I used to poo hoo the idea, but know what, she was so right! Today's card is very effective in all the shades of green.

B x

Gerrina said...

Wjat a super nice way to upcycle somethings that isn't working anymore! Love the warm colours and the butterflies look great on the fabric! Hugs, Gerrina

Jeanette (Forest Ranger) said...

WOW! Gorgeous use of those unusable bookmarks. Your card is stunning, Maxine!

Cynthia said...

Very creative recycling, Maxine. I love it when I can use other items in my card making. The bookmark really adds great texture as well! Thank you for sharing with Word Art Wednesday this week. Take Care!

Sarn said...

A very original card.

Thanks for bringing this lovely piece of homework to the Snippets Playground. See you on the swings later.

HilaryJane said...

Those old bookmarks look really cool and what a great way to repurpose them. Your card turned out brilliantly and the butterflies are the perfect finishing touch xx

jimlynn said...

Sensational and what a great idea for a card too! Absoultely beautiful!!
Lynn

Julie said...

Gosh that is just stunning Maxine!!! I have seen those vintage bookmarks so I knew exactly what you meant. I love how you have repurposed/given it a whole new life. I have missed some posts as have been away down to my elderly unwell Mums. I will try & catch up over the weekend. Enjoy your day Maxine xx

Alice (scrAPpamondo) said...

Great recycling!!! Love so much the design and texture of this card!

Tracie said...

Love your unique card. So cute. Thanks for playing along with is at PIP Challenges.

aussie aNNie said...

Gorgeous card, stunning as always, and I just love this x♥ x

Kathy said...

This is so unique and quite lovely. Smudges (probably how embellishments came to be a part of cardmaking) Thanks for your encouragement. Smiles, Kathy

Di said...

What a beautiful card this is Maxine - wonderful 'upcycling'. I love it!

Hugs
Di xx

Brenda said...

Well I am certainly glad you found a way to use these gorgeous bookmarks on a card Maxine! It would have been a shame to let these go in the bin!!! I Love the colors, of course green is one of my favorite colors....but then again, lots of colors are my favorite. LOL The stitching is beautiful and I love how you took them and used for a card. Your card is gorgeous! The butterflies are perfect with these bookmarks/turn card. We would have been none the wiser about the smudge if you hadn't told us...don't you love it when a sequin can cover up a boo boo?! Love the inside as well as the envie too! Yep, the week flew by for me as well. I don't know how time goes faster, I guess I've gotten so slow that time flies right on by me. Hugs, Brenda

Megan J said...

Hi Maxine, a lovely way to reuse the stitched bookmark, the green and gold are a good match to the colours on the bookmark. Have a wonderful week, Megan.

valscraftings said...

Thank you for joining in our challenge this month with your wonderful project!
DT – Val, Nan, Leigh, Cat x
https://creativeinspirationchallenges.blogspot.com

Ink Outside The Box With Diane said...

Spectacular card! Love the texture of the bookmark on the card, glad you didn’t let it go to waste. I’m delighted to have you playing with the Krafty Chicks All Occasions Challenge this week. Hope you join us again soon.
Diane - DT

Lynda said...

Such a very creative card - great colours and design. Thank you for joining us at Cardz 4 Galz xx Lynda/Loopyloo DT

Neet said...

Oh WOW! What an effective card. Who would know it began life as a bookmark? It is truly a beautiful card Maxine. Your imagination worked so well with this and I love the addition of the butterflies. The white strips with the words provide just the right amount of distraction from the green. Ever such a tiny bit.
Blessings, Neet xx

Anonymous said...

Very unique, looks great, thanks for joining us at the MAWTT challenge xx

Ellibelle said...

Absolutely beautiful! So many pretty shades of green and gorgeous butterflies! So nicely finished on the inside too!
Thank you so much for joining in at my Crafty Wednesday challenge!!

Dawn Phillips said...

What a fabulous idea. They look fantastic. Thanks for joining us at Cardz4galz. Love Dawn x

JD/ Jill said...

Wonderful job of recycling. I like this one a lot!